- Storage bunkerGantry cranes take the poultry manure from the pits and deposit it in the storage bunker. The various loads are mixed together here. This creates a homogenous fuel, which is needed for a stable combustion process. The volume of the storage bunker is the same as about 240 trucks.
- TransportCranes move the manure onto walking floors. Iron and large pieces are removed using a sieve and a magnet. Conveyors take the manure to two intermediate storage silos from where it is moved by screws to the 4 intakes in the furnace.
- Fluidized bed furnaceHere is the poultry manure burned. Hot air is blown through a layer of sand at a temperature of 765°C, causing it to behave like a boiling liquid. The flue gases are combusted further by adding extra air, taking the temperature up to 1000°C.
- Steam boilerWater is heated to make steam here, which is then superheated and used to drive the turbine. Ash drops through the furnace bed into a silo. The lighter ash is carried along as dust with the cooled flue gases and separated from them later in the process.
- Electrostatic filterAn electrostatic filter removes residual ash from the flue gases. As the particles are negatively charged they will be attracted to positively charged plates and will so be removed from the flue gases. At specified intervals the plates will drop off the agglomerated particles.
- Turbosorp® and screen filtersLime and water are injected into the Turbosorp®. The flue gases are now at 165°C. The screen filter traps the salts formed and the last ash. In order to improve the efficiency the lime, including ash content, is recirculated.
- The DeNOx filterThe DeNOx filter converts oxides of nitrogen into harmless compounds. By means of a catalyst and ammonia the nitrogen oxides are reduced to nitrogen and water.
- Steam turbine, generator and cooling towerSteam at 65 bar and 478°C drives the steam turbine. The turbine is connected to a generator that produces electricity. 285,000 MWh of green electricity is generated annually. The amount of electricity minimized with a small amount for internal use will power 70,000 households.